Friday, April 1, 2011

A Fresh Look at "Individualism."



I read this and it really challenged my Western notion of freedom. Especially the mirage of personal freedom that fools so many of us in this culture.

"Freedom does not mean that I can decide I want my stomach to pump blood and my heart to digest food. Physical laws exist that are not negotiable. By the same token, spiritual laws exist as well. As a human being I must study both and apply both to my life to reap the most bountiful harvest from the soil of my body and soul. True freedom exists firmly within the bounds of natural and spiritual laws.

Many of the unhappiest and most deranged people throughout history have been kings, queens, emperors, dictators, rock stars (ehh hem... Charlie Sheen, Michael Jackson are a couple great examples), movie stars, business tycoons, and others who became so wealthy or popular or powerful that the fancied they were above the laws of nature as well as the laws of man. They were free to do as they chose at any hour of the day or night. Every shred of relevant historical evidence shows that a human being does not do well with such an unnatural degree of personal choice. Freedom is a good thing. Unchecked personal choice is not; it usually drives people crazy. Yet that is exactly what we have enshrined in place of true freedom. We have been taught to revere and pursue it unquestioningly.

Human beings exist in relation to each other. Real freedom cannot be separated from responsiveness to others. Merely doing what we want, in a way that ignores our connection with each other or the best interests of society, isn't personal freedom. It's time to start looking at this bill of goods we've been sold about personal freedom. It's time to question what we have been taught about individualism. Many of the attitudes that we may consider to be universal truths, are in reality a form of an American cult of individualism." -It's a Meaningful Life


This really got me thinking. I was reminded of the child that doesn't follow any of the rules. Doesn't stay within the boundaries given. They want control, they want to make adult decisions. But the healthiest and most delightful children I have seen, are those whose parents have imposed upon them, guidelines/limits. "You may play in the backyard." "Have fun riding your bike, but don't go past the end of the cul-de-sac." How playful and free that child is.

I have decided that true freedom is the choice to submit ourselves to the laws of God. True freedom is actually making yourself a slave. To commit myself, bind myself to spiritual and physical discipline. For example making a commitment, (like marriage) does indeed limit my options. But within the confines of that commitment there is endless freedom. There are dozens of examples in life to prove this true.

Go ahead. Limit yourself. Commit to something you believe in. I believe you will find great freedom there and more contentment than could ever be found in a world of open doors, endless options, and no direction. Let's not dilute ourselves with a hundred half hearted commitments, but live concentrated lives that are influential and effective.

1 comment:

Marlene said...

That is my dream house! I got to babysit for the Ayers a few different weekends and loved pretending it was my house and my great kids.