Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Where art thou?

So I have been growing a lot, in case no one has noticed from my posts this year. And growing/maturing, has a way of bringing about subtle changes in you.


Take yesterday for instance. As I was checking out with my groceries the lady in front of me turned around and we recognized each other, chatted, hugged, she called her boys over, I admired them... It was a very normal grocery store interaction UNTIL... the checkout lady says, "Oh I didn't even realize you were in line. Let me just check this man (and his very FULL cart) out and then I'll be with you." 

[Insert the new Jenna here:]

"You mean the man with his cart BEHIND me in line!?" I won't even try to make myself look good I said this with such disgust I didn't even recognize myself when the officers made me watch the footage on the security cameras.

She starts pulling his cart up in front of mine and setting his items on the conveyer belt. 

With a hug scowl on my face I said, "So let me get this straight. You are going to check HIM out?!" She stopped, froze for a moment,  and began putting his items back into his cart. I vaguely heard the man saying it was okay and it was no big deal... 

(Well of course its no big deal you moron, I'm in front of you in line and I have been waiting patiently while she finished checking out the woman in front of me whom I was just talking to.  NOW... it is MYYY turn.)

My eyes were locked on the cashier...

"Interesting!" I said very loudly as she began scanning my items. It felt really good to demand I receive proper service. 

Can somebody please tell me what happened to the nice Jenna that would normally have just said, "Oh it's not a big deal. I'm not in a hurry. Go ahead. Shoot... why don't you let the whole line go ahead of me. (While I stand there with frozen goods melting.) 


[DEAR GOD PLEASE LET NO ONE RECOGNIZE THIS STORY AND OUT ME.]




No comments: