Monday, January 2, 2012

An Unspoken Rule

I am totally loving my book right now. I want to share this excerpt because it hit me like a sack of potatoes..
"Aaron caught a glimpse of an insight and latched onto it. He'd broken an unspoken rule --- one person did not reach into another person's life and make decisions for her... or him. It seemed this was a lesson he should have learned long ago. As his thoughts followed that trail, he understood something else. It wasn't his place to pry his parents' grip free of this farm. He wasn't wrong in showing them options for a different life or in sacrificing his time to help them. But his way was overzealous. They were mature adults with the right to hang on to this black hole until they or the bank said otherwise. He'd learned in rehab that a spouse, friend, or parent can't make someone want to get clean. And he couldn't make his parents want to leave this place. He'd banked on having more influence over his parents than he really had."                                           -The Harvest of Grace
 An unspoken rule. One should not reach into another persons's life and make decisions for them. [hand raised in the air.] I'm busted. I'm guilty.


Here's a quote I've been letting soak into the soil of my soul:
"For I am convinced that everything as it is in itself is holy. You've got your hands full just taking care of your own life before God. Forget about deciding what's right for each other."                                                                                 -Romans 14:13 
Oh crap. I totally haven't lived this way. At all. I'm telling you I was totally convinced I was supposed to tell other people how best to live their life. I believed that for 29 years. Ha ha ha... That's pretty dumb. I think it's pretty funny right now. What a pinhead. Overzealous is a gentle way to put it if you ask me. Arrogant and presumptuous is another way to say it. I just didn't know. But I DO now. :-D Hip hip hurray! YAHOOOOO!!!! I get it. I get it. I get it.! YES!

No comments: