Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cats


"All of the animals except man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it.
-Samuel Butler

Every once in a while I get a little bored. My typical remedy for this is to head out for a walk to K-Mart and see what I can discover there. This week I picked up "Chicken Soup for the Soul: What I Learned From the Cat." It is filled with great cat quotes and stories that have had me rolling all week. Sooo... I thought I would share a cat story of my own.


A few days ago I noted we were running low on cat food. "It's a busy week," I said to myself, "I will have to get to that on Thursday." On Wednesday evening, the last kibble was crunched before we turned in for bed. Now, you and I would think this was perfect timing. Well we are a different species than these little fur balls for sure. 


First thing this morning Sydney jumps from the floor to my chest. THUD! Scared the living day lights out of me. "What the heck!" I sputtered as I wiped the sleep from my eyes. She has been sleeping in the closet ever since the weather turned cold and hasn't come near me for weeks. I should have seen this as a clue... however given I only became conscious because of a large heavy animal pouncing on my chest, I think I deserve some slack.


Several moments later I am in the bathroom, washing my face and getting ready for the day. Which entails heading to Petsmart to get cat food first thing. But I kept hearing a rattling noise while I was putting my make-up on in the mirror. I stopped and listened a few times but couldn't identify the noise. Finally I step out of the bathroom and stick my head down the hall. There is Kia with her paw beneath the door where the cat food his kept. She is sitting there staring at me. Eye to eye contact is made, and she moves her paw back and forth rattling the door. NEVER breaking eye contact. 


Are you SERIOUS??? It couldn't have been more clear if she spoke English.


I'm feeling the pressure now. So I throw on some clothes and the cats are talking to me as I head for the door. But when they hear the rattle of my keys they look at me like I must be the most unintelligent being alive today.


I run to the store. Purchase a new flavor Ocean Fish, hustle home, and lug the heavy bag in. The kitties have perched themselves on the patio. I call for them. One ear flattens, indicating they're thinking. I crinkle the bag, and call some more. Nothin'. I cut the bag open, pour the food in, shake the dish. They can't be bothered.


And THAT my friends.... is the life of a cat owner.


Thus my most recent Facebook status:
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."



No comments: