Friday, December 9, 2011

A Stroll Through The Forest


I decided to go on another forest adventure. After all the rain we've had everything smells so pristine and clean. (Lol. I'm in a rhyming mood.) The air was so crisp I could hardly resist. Ha ha ha... Come on I'll show you what I found.


I sprawled out here on this grass for quite a bit. It was deeply serene and the afternoon sun lit everything up perfectly.



This. Is to be avoided dear ones. Sorry. I know it's pretty and your welcome to touch it if you'd really like, but I don't recommend it. 


After my mind acclimated I decided to get up and walk around a bit. I found all kind of great stuff.




 eucalyptus: the oil from eucalyptus leaves is used for a variety of medicinal purposes such as: a disinfectant, to relieve fever and congestion associated with head colds. It can be used as a bug repellent or to treat bug bites as well. Great stuff.



"S is for...Something Smells Superb."


sage: I love how this stuff smells. Sage leaves can be strewn in bathwater to cleanse oily hair and help prevent hair loss or dandruff and can also be used as an aftershave and skin lotion. Use the fresh leaves to rub over your teeth to help prevent build-up of tartar, remove plaque, and freshen the breath. Due to it's antiseptic properties, sage tea can be used as a gargle for gum and mouth infections, cold sores, or as a wash for acne. It is also used to regulate menstruation and to treat menopausal symptoms, especially hot flushes. Sage improves the memory, treats liver and gallbladder problems, relieves gas, stimulates cell growth, and helps reduce milk flow when weaning babies. The essential oil can be massaged into the skin to ease muscular tension or pain, and to treat cellulite. Talk about useful. I don't know of even one pill that can cover that many bases.


spanish moss: The Chumash Indians used this for both bedding and... diapers. And it is still used in upholstery for bedding and cushions today. The resiliency of moss makes it desirable for upholstery use as insects will not attack, destroy, live in or eat moss fiber. I gathered some and discovered that you can fashion it into a whole bunch of different things.






Next time I'll take a picture of the milkweed. I was so consumed with sniffing it I forgot to snap a picture. That stuff is my absolute favorite. It never fails to revive me.


As I was walking through the forest gathering my herbs and whatnot, I discovered an interesting rule. You don't break sticks. Snapping a stick is like leaving your cell phone on in church. If you break a stick, it means everyone stops and looks at you. However if I am still and tread lightly I am free to enjoy the show.


Bye bye my little forest friends. 
Sorry for breaking the stick. 
I'll wear my moccasins next time.

2 comments:

josh said...

Where is this at??

Jenna Jill said...

Is that you Joshy Poo?