Monday, February 6, 2012

As a man thinketh... so is he.

"The body is the servant of the mind. It obeys the operations of the mind whether they be deliberately chosen or automatically expressed. At the bidding of unlawful thoughts the body sinks rapidly into disease and decay; at the command of glad and beautiful thoughts it becomes clothed with youthfulness and beauty.
Change of diet will not help a man who will not change his thoughts. Who does not measure his beliefs and where he places his trust. When one makes his or her thoughts pure, they no longer desire impure food. 
Strong, pure, and happy thoughts build up the body in vigor and grace. The body is a delicate and plastic instrument, which responds readily to the thought by which it is impressed and habits of thought will produce their own effects, good or bad, upon it." 
- As A Man Thinketh by: James Allen

I have recently been thinking. I am finding that I think A LOT.  But have have been giving particular attention to the effects of my thought life upon my body, upon my circumstances, upon my level of inner peace, and upon my relationships. Boy. What you think about really effects your whole world. How then can I gain discipline over my thoughts? How then can I train my mind?


I believe that trust is one major component. If our thoughts are a ship, than what we trust in is the anchor. Rather than sailing aimlessly about, I want to evaluate where my thoughts and visions are anchored before I set sail on the vast oceans of my mind.


In what do you trust? Where to you place your faith? In your family? In your self? In your job? How about your savings account or investments? And perhaps another question for some of you is, "How do I identify where I am placing my trust?"

1 comment:

Netherland said...

At first I thought this book as kind of a hoax. I kept thinking, "yeah right, like I'm going to be rich if I think it." But then once I continued reading this book, I realized it was true. Let me give you a smaller and less high profile example than becoming rich: if someone always thinks they are sick and is always fearing the thought of becoming sick, they will usually be sick. It seems that the more you think of something, the more it is prone to being drawn towards you. This book just teaches you how to bring forward the good-not the bad.

After completing this book, I would definitely say it has had a positive influence on me. I am now always conscious of what I am thinking and constantly analyzing many of my thoughts, considering the possible benefits of each one. I would definitely read more of this author's books, as I have no doubt that the lessons I learn from them will positively help me for a long time, as did the many lessons I learned from this book.